Seven Vocabulary Terms for Students to Know
The Creation and Development of the State and Nation
- Government: direction;control; management; rule; the political direction and control exercised over the actions of the members, citizens, or inhabitants of communities, societies, and states; direction of the affairs of a state, community,
- Suffrage: the right to vote
- Constitution: the system of fundamental principles according to which a nation, state, corporation, or the like, is
- Citizen: an inhabitant of a city or town, especially one entitled to its privileges or
- Democracy: a state of society characterized by formal equality of rights and privileges.
- Civil Rights: rights to personal liberty established by the 13th and 14th Amendments to the S. Constitution and certain Congressional acts, especially as applied to an individual or a minority group.
- Reconstruction: the process by which the states that had seceded were reorganized as part of the Union after the Civil War.