Assignment: You are to read the following article in the groups you have been assigned to. Each of you has been given a job. As you read you will complete your job based on the job description. You will report back to your group with the results of your job.
Goal: Students should learn about civil rights and important times in history that civil rights were advocated for. Students will complete a final project at the end of the unit based on what they have learned about civil rights.
|Rights Reviewer||· Summarize the article
· Be sure to cover points that the article addressed that relate to
o Oppressed groups and how they were oppressed
o struggles faced by oppressed groups when trying to gain rights
o civil rights movements
o significant events that happened in the Civil Rights Movement (e.g. protests)
o the differing opinions that people had about the government
|Rights’ Rhetoric Revealer||· Define the following terms:
o Civil rights
o White supremacy
|Rights Regulator||· The mediator should help conduct the discussion
· Encourage group members to give their opinions on the article
· Regulate discussion and ensure that all members are being respected
· Encourage members to form an opinion on oppression, oppressed groups, and how civil rights movements addressed these issues.
· Ask every group member for their definition of civil rights after reading the article
|Rights’ Relish Respondent||· Identify any biases in the article
· Which ideas were relished? Which ideas were opposed?
· Was the author biased in any way? What words revealed the author’s biases?
· How does the author feel about democracy? About civil rights? About the government?
· How could you tell what the author’s point of view was?
- Tuck, Stephen. “Civil Rights Movement.” New Georgia Encyclopedia. 04 March 2016. Web. 17 June 2016.